Tuesday, April 14, 2009

cemetery-traipsing buddies

One October--maybe the autumn before Garrett was born--Kimberly and I went cemetery traipsing in the cornfields and byways of Eastern North Carolina. We found Silas Crisp--he who was gone but not forgotten. We found Henrietta--Henrietta, wife of M. M. Crisp . . . No maiden name. . . Kimberly's brick wall, a wall she was soon to conquer, brick by brick, using her genealogist tools.

Remember that paper towel? Well, if you take another look, you will see that it listed Henrietta’s father as ‘Charlie.’ And my great-grandmother, Mammy Pattie, daughter of Henrietta? Her middle name was ‘Lucy.’ Not yet conclusive evidence that my Henrietta was the daughter of Charley & Lucy MEARES (I need to do additional research), but I know in my heart it is true. Henrietta has finally come back to tell her story.

We've traipsed other cemeteries too.

Johnstown's Grandview cemetery.



Sacred ground at Shanksville.

Memorials to those who lie under Lake Murray.


And, two Christmases ago, in the rain, the Summer Family Cemetery where the founder of the community where I work is buried.



Cemetery-traipsing buddies we are indeed, my daughter and I :-)

No comments: